Thursday, March 16, 2006

When It Rains It Pours

Those of you that know me know that with me with it rains it pours as far as bad things happening in my life. Recently I had quite the health scare when I wound up in ICU with a blood sugar of 920. Apparently I’d been walking around for months with a dangerously high blood sugar and didn’t know it. I hadn’t been feeling good and have been going to my doctor but we just didn’t put things together and realize I had diabetes. By the time I was hospitalized my liver and kidneys were failing and my heart was being affected by the electrolyte imbalance that the diabetes was causing. It was pretty hard getting hit with the diagnosis although I knew that I would probably have diabetes later in life because both my parents had it.
It’s been about 5 weeks now since I was dismissed from the hospital and I’m still having a real hard time coming to grips with the fact that I have another chronic disease to add to my already pain in the butt health conditions. I’ve been fighting depression pretty hard but the survival instinct that has kept me alive and fighting for all this years seems to be intact and still functioning quite well.
I admit I’ve been thinking a lot about life and death. What happens after we die and when the quality of your life just seems to not be worth the quantity. I’ve found the more I think about these things the more questions I come up with it seems. Living and dying is a very personal thing. While in the hospital I admit I thought I didn’t have a choice about whether I was going to live and die. The weird thing about it was that I wasn’t all that scared of dying because I am a firm believer that there is another life after death but the timing all seemed wrong. I was too young and I still had too many things to do yet. Looking at it from a better perspective now I’m not as worried about dying although I know that I will have to take care of myself more carefully now if I don’t want to wind up that way. You just never know what is going to be around the corner and it is more imperative to me then ever to live each to day to its fullest.